Summer at the Plaza
July 4: Price Chopper Presents New York State's Fourth of July Celebration
Price Chopper has presented this Albany tradition since our country’s bicentennial celebration in 1976. The annual holiday celebration features live music and fun for the whole family including the best fireworks show in the region. Each year, more than 30,000 people gather to enjoy the day at the Plaza, which includes a naturalization ceremony, dozens of food and craft vendors, activities for kids, and an evening of live entertainment leading up to the big pyrotechnics show.
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes emerged from the New Jersey shore scene in 1974, evolving as an R&B horn band in the Memphis’ Stax Records tradition. The band is known for high-energy shows and no-holds-barred songs, including “I Don’t Wanna Go Home,” “Havin’ a Party,” “The Fever,” “Talk to Me,” Trapped Again,” and “This Time It’s For Real.”
Also featuring a Naturalization Ceremony, Jill Hughes, Funk Evolution, Drew Dyal aka DD King, fireworks and more!
Due to Plaza construction, events will be held at the North end of the Plaza. Seating will not be available. Please bring a lawn chair.
3:00 p.m. Welcome & Naturalization Ceremony
3:45 p.m. Funk Evolution
5:15 p.m. Elvis tribute artist Drew Dyal (aka DD King)
5:45 p.m. Jill Hughes
7:30 p.m. New York State's Fourth of July Celebration Official Program
8:00 p.m. South Side Johnny & The Asbury Jukes
9:15 p.m. Fireworks!
- For map of New Site Layout: CLICK HERE
- The fireworks will be shot off from a new location, which requires a new safety zone where visitors will not be allowed during the festival. This barricaded safety zone includes the areas between the Corning Tower and The Egg, the large reflecting pool and the reflecting pool closest to the museum, as well as both inner pathways on the Plaza.
- At 7 p.m., the safety zone will be expanded, and the entire south side of the Plaza, between The Egg and Madison Avenue on the east side and between Agency Building 3 and Madison Avenue on the west side, will be closed off with barricades. This area will not be reopened to the public until after a postfireworks safety check, which will be approximately 20 minutes after the last firework.
- Both Madison Avenue and State Street will be closed to vehicle traffic between Eagle Street and Swan Street after 3 p.m. but will remain open to pedestrians throughout the entire event.
- Swan Street will remain open to traffic throughout the day, but parking will not be permitted on Swan between Madison Avenue and State Street the day of the event.
- The staircases from Madison Avenue to the Plaza will be closed all day to pedestrians. Prior to 7 p.m., access to the Plaza from Madison Avenue will be available only at the security gate just up the hill from the staircases. Visitors attempting to get from Madison Avenue to the north side of the Plaza where the stage is located will be encouraged to use the sidewalk along Swan Street.
- Pedestrian access to and from the parking garages, enclosed walkway, and Empire State Plaza Concourse will be available through The Egg, the exterior plaza staircase behind The Egg, the staircases near Agency Building 4, State Street, and the glass doors on Madison Avenue.
- Additional information about road closures and parking restrictions will be made available by the City of Albany closer to the day of the event.